Internships for High School Students
Are you interested in pursuing a career in a laboratory, in studying at the Biozentrum or would you like to do your “Maturarbeit” or a project in molecular biology? The Biozentrum offers high school students various internship opportunities.
Would you like to have an insight into laboratory work for one day or do you want to do your “Maturarbeit” at the Biozentrum? We offer the following short internship opportunities:
- Lab introduction day - 1 day
- Work experience placement - 1 to 2 weeks
We offer about 15 work experience placements per year. For 2020 all internships positions are already filled. Good English skills are a prerequisite, as the scientists at the Biozentrum come from 45 different countries and English is the language spoken in many laboratories.
Please send your application for an internship to the Human Resources Department: hr-biozentrum(at)unibas. Your application should include the following documents: .ch
- Letter of motivation
- Completed application form including details of the goals and the requested dates for the visit
- Information indicating in which of the following five research area you are interested in doing your internship:
- Growh and Development: In this area, researchers are studying the cell, the smallest unit of life, and its evolution.
- Infection Biology: Infection biologists investigate viruses, bacteria and the molecular basis for fighting infectious diseases. Since some groups work with dangerous pathogens, only a limited number of positions are available in Infection Biology.
- Neurobiology: The focus is on the study of the nervous system, in order to better understand the processes of learning and perception as well as mental illnesses.
- Structural Biology & Biophysics: The researchers in this area investigate structures of macromolecules and their function, using state-of-the-art technologies such as light, electron and scanning probe microscopy.
- Computational & Systems Biology: Computational analysis and simulations are used to investigate the behavior of biological systems.