Internships for High School Students
Are you interested in pursuing a career in a laboratory, in studying at the Biozentrum or would you like to do your “Maturarbeit” or a project in the field of molecular biology? The Biozentrum offers high school students various internship opportunities. Unique is the newly created "Basel Summer Science Academy" for gymnasium students.
Would you like to have an insight into laboratory work for one day or do you want to do your “Maturarbeit” at the Biozentrum? We offer the following short internship opportunities:
- Lab introduction day - 1 day
- Work experience placement - 1 to 2 weeks
We offer about 15 work experience placements per year. Good English skills are a prerequisite, as the scientists at the Biozentrum come from 45 different countries and English is the language spoken in many laboratories.
Please send your application for an internship to the Human Resources Department: hr-biozentrum(at)unibas. Your application should include the following documents: .ch
- Letter of motivation
- Completed application form including details of the goals and the requested dates for the visit
- Information indicating in which of the following five research area you are interested in doing your internship:
- Growh and Development: In this area, researchers are studying the cell, the smallest unit of life, and its evolution.
- Infection Biology: Infection biologists investigate viruses, bacteria and the molecular basis for fighting infectious diseases. Since some groups work with dangerous pathogens, which make work experience and internships in these labs impossible, only few positions are available in Infection Biology.
- Neurobiology: The focus is on the study of the nervous system, in order to better understand the processes of learning and perception as well as mental illnesses.
- Structural Biology & Biophysics: The researchers in this area investigate the shape and structure of macromolecules and their function, using state-of-the-art technologies such as light, electron and scanning probe microscopy.
- Computational & Systems Biology: Computational analysis and simulations are used to investigate the behavior of biological systems.
"Basel Summer Science Academy" for Gymnasium students
Since 2019, as part of the Basel Summer Science Academy, the University of Basel offers 24 selected gymnasium students from the Basel region the opportunity to experience and immerse themselves in research at the Biozentrum during the first two weeks of the summer holidays. In this course, you will be looking for new types of bacterial viruses, so-called bacteriophages. To this end, you will collect water samples taken from the Rhine and examine them microbiologically. You will learn about the microbiological methods and tools, such as working under sterile conditions, cultivating bacteria and viruses and the production of culture media. The bacteriophages grown in the lab are subsequently examined more closely. You will analyze the isolated bacteriophages using state-of-the-art microscopes, including an electron microscope, decipher their genetic material and follow the traces of evolution in the lab.
The course is complemented by an exciting side program including lectures and visits to the most important players in the local industry. In this way, you will also get to know many aspects of the important life sciences location Basel in these two weeks.
Participants are selected for the Summer Science Academy by their schools. All gymnasiums in the Basel region, including international and private schools, have a certain number of places available. If you are interested in participating, you can contact your biology teacher directly.
English is the language spoken in the "Basel Summer Science Academy".
Program Head: Prof. Christoph Handschin