Scientific Associate Research IT
Starting immediately or as per agreement
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 32 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life, spanning the scale from atom to organism. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birthplace of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates.
The Research IT technology platform is the primary contact point for scientific IT projects at the Biozentrum. Our group supports scientists and staff of the Biozentrum with expertise, services and custom software development. We facilitate management and analyses of research data and provide ICT tools to facilitate digital collaboration and communication in our research institute.
You will support the specific needs of the research groups and administrative units at the Biozentrum in collaboration with the other members of our team. You will be interacting with a variety of research groups tackling research questions at the forefront of life science research. Experience in Life Science research will thus be helpful in designing pragmatic and robust solutions for these challenges. Within the portfolio of the group, there is some flexibility to adapt your role to your specific skillset and expertise.
- Provide consulting and support on IT solutions for specific research or administrative requirements
- Domain-specific consulting, support and training for research data management, including topics such as working with large data sets, Data Management Plans, FAIR data.
- Planning, design and operation of service infrastructure, such as software, web applications, databases for these specific requirements, possibly extending into software development, predominantly in Python and PHP.
- Provide analytical expertise to research projects where applicable, for instance in the field of bioinformatics analysis, big data, ML/AI.
- Active participation in ongoing Research IT projects, such as capturing requirements with users, developing scenarios and solutions, as well as occasional training.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and goal-oriented person with a degree in Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology or Computer Science and relevant experience in a similar role in a research institution.
Working in a highly dynamic academic environment inspires you. You enjoy working with wet lab scientists to provide solutions for their research projects and data. You embrace a service-oriented approach and take pride in helping to ensure a reliable infrastructure.
You combine your expertise in life sciences, bioinformatics and/or ICT with outstanding analytical and collaborative skills to contribute to cross-functional projects. Good communication skills in English are required; knowledge of German is an asset.
The Biozentrum offers a cutting-edge research infrastructure, a highly international environment that provides numerous opportunities to acquire additional skills, and excellent working conditions. The position is initially for 2 years, with the possibility of permanent employment. Salary and benefits are according to University of Basel standards.
Application / Contact
Please apply online with a CV, letter of motivation, a summary of past projects you worked on and the name/address of three references. Please note that only online applications will be accepted:
Reviewing of applications will start on 3 February 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Further information about Research IT: https://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/researchit
For specific questions, feel free to contact Michael Podvinec, PhD, Head of Research IT (michael.podvinec(at)unibas). .ch