Postdoctoral researcher – Establishing novel 3D in vitro systems for respiratory bacterial infections (100%)
This position is part of a collaborative project between the Roche Infectious Disease Discovery group, I2O DTA and NCCR AntiResist sponsored by the Roche Institute for Translational Bioengineering (ITB) and academic groups at the Biozentrum of the University of Basel. Our common interest is in establishing novel 3D in vitro systems for respiratory bacterial infections. The goal of the project is to develop predictive infection models of the human respiratory tract and to use them to determine drug efficacy and PK/PD parameters during infection.
The Roche Institute for Translational Bioengineering (ITB) was established by Roche Pharma Research & Early Development (pRED) to advance the abilities of predictive human model systems to accelerate drug discovery. NCCR AntiResist (https://nccr-antiresist.ch/) is a Swiss-wide interdisciplinary center for antibiotic research with strong collaborations between biologists, clinicians, engineers, computational scientists and chemists. The goals of NCCR AntiResist are to develop laboratory models closely mimicking human infections and to use these models to discover innovative strategies to combat increasing drug resistance.
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading Life Sciences Institutes in the world, accommodating 30 research groups and 500 employees investigating how molecules and cells create life. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birthplace of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates. The postdoc position is embedded in the group of Prof. Urs Jenal (www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/jenal).
Your responsibilities are
· Develop, validate, and apply advanced tissue models of the human respiratory tract (e.g., 3D lung tissue in transwells, lung on a chip)
· Establish relevant in vitro experiments to characterize bacterial infections (e.g., bacterial clearance, tissue integrity, trans-epithelial electrical resistance, drug PK measurements)
· Work in cooperation within a unique environment of Scientists from the University of Basel and Roche Infectious Diseases groups
· Analyze data using appropriate statistical methods and present data in a professional format suitable for external publication
· Act as an experienced resource and demonstrate clear and professional verbal and written communication
· PhD in Life Sciences (microbiology, cellular/molecular biology, pharmacology or immunology) or a closely related discipline with 0-3 years post PhD/post-doctoral experience
· Strong technical and theoretical background/expertise in host-pathogen interaction. Additional experience in (lung) epithelial biology and confocal microscopy is a plus
· Core skills in cell culture / tissue engineering and/or microbiology
· Ability to effectively present scientific data and concepts to colleagues and teams is essential
· Able to interact effectively with people, at Roche and academic collaborators
· You can communicate fluently in English
· Excellent data management and record-keeping skills
Our multidisciplinary groups at Roche and at the Biozentrum include microbiologists and cell biologist with an expertise in virulence and persistence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other human pathogens. We have excellent internal support from various core facilities with expert staff as well as a very strong multi-disciplinary collaborative environment within the frame of the NCCR AntiResist project.
The position is available immediately and the prospective funding period is for at least two years.
Basel is an international city with people from 150 nations. Located on the border between Switzerland, Germany and France, it is Europe’s most important Life Science hub. Basel provides a high standard of living and a rich and varied cultural atmosphere.
Roche and NCCR AntiResist embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Application / Contact
Please apply online; only on-line applications will be reviewed:
Upload the following three separate PDF documents: 1) Your CV with contacts for three references 2) Motivation letter explaining why you are a good candidate for this job offer 3) List of all your publications (including pre-prints). For up to three publications most relevant to this job offer describe shortly (up to 200 words) your role as well as why the publication is relevant (for example: what techniques you learned, what experience you gained, etc.).
Incomplete applications will be disregarded. Reviewing of applications will begin on March 1, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. For general inquiries please send an e-mail to recruitment(at)nccr-antiresist. .ch