Scientific Associate Research IT (60-100%)
Starting immediately or as per agreement
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 32 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life, spanning the scale from atom to organism. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birthplace of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates.
The Research IT technology platform is the primary contact point for scientific IT projects at the Biozentrum. Our group supports the Biozentrum’s scientists and staff with expertise, services and custom software development. We facilitate the management and analysis of research data and provide ICT tools that enable digital collaboration and communication in our research institute.
You will support the specific needs of the research groups and administrative units at the Biozentrum in collaboration with the other members of our team. This position is very interactive with a variety of research groups tackling research questions at the forefront of life science research, and your own experience in life science research will be helpful in designing pragmatic, robust solutions for these challenges. Within the portfolio of the group, there is some flexibility to adapt your role to your specific skillset and expertise.
- Provide consulting and support to research and administrative units at the Biozentrum on IT solutions for specific research or administrative requirements.
- Domain-specific consulting, support and training for research data management, including topics such as working with large data sets, Data Management Plans, FAIR data.
- Planning, design and operation of service infrastructure, such as software, web applications, databases for these specific requirements, possibly extending into software development, predominantly in Python and PHP.
- Provide analytical expertise to research projects where applicable, for instance in the field of bioinformatics analysis, big data, ML/AI.
- Active participation in ongoing Research IT projects, such as capturing requirements with users, developing scenarios and solutions, as well as occasional training.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and goal-oriented person with a degree in Bioinformatics, molecular biology or computer science and relevant experience in a similar role in a research institution.
You like to work in an agile academic work environment and embrace a service-oriented approach. You enjoy working with wet lab scientists to provide solutions for their research projects and data. At the same time, you also help to ensure that our production services run smoothly.
You combine expertise in life sciences, bioinformatics and/or ICT with outstanding analytical and collaborative skills that you enjoy bringing to the table in cross-functional projects. Good communication skills in English are required, knowledge of German is an asset.
The Biozentrum offers a cutting-edge research infrastructure, a highly international environment that provides numerous opportunities to learn more, and excellent working conditions. The University of Basel stands for excellence and is committed to diversity, equal opportunities and family friendliness. Female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. The position is initially for 2 years, with the possibility of permanent employment. Salary and benefits according to University of Basel standards.
Application / Contact
Please apply online with a CV, letter of motivation, a summary of past projects you worked on and the name/address of three references:
Please note that only online applications will be accepted:
Reviewing of applications will start on 12 April 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Further information about Research IT: https://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/researchit
For specific questions, feel free to contact Michael Podvinec, PhD, Head of Research IT (michael.podvinec(at)unibas). .ch