Starting per Jan 1st 2024 or as per agreement
How does life emerge from molecules and cells? This is the central question that motivates us. With curiosity and passion, we investigate the entire spectrum ranging from the atom to the organism. The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the world’s leading life sciences institutes. With 32 groups and 500 employees, we are a dynamic and international research community that has spawned many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine as well as several Nobel Laureates. Become part of our community!
The research group of Timm Maier in collaboration with the BioEM lab and computational units at University of Basel and partners across Switzerland is looking for a scientific data management specialist (BioEM). Main focus of the position is to develop data management schemes for large-volume data from biological cryo electron microscopy within the context of the SwissUniversities-funded Open EM-Data network project.
Your responsibilities are
- Contributing to training and operations
- Developing workflows to integrate data management at electron microscopy facilities
- Extending toolsets for data management and metadata harvesting
- Advising scientists and engineers in integration tasks related to data curation
- Applying and conceptualizing standards and ontologies for EM metadata
- Providing technical documentation & user training and contributing to publications
- Specifics/special working conditions: Periodic travel (3-4 times a year) to meetings with project partners.
Master or PhD degree in natural sciences, computer science, engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Languages: English
- Experience with Linux, Python scripting
- Strong communication skills with computational & scientific partners and teams
- Experience in managing data at the 100s of TB to PB scale, preferentially in the domain of electron microscopy
- Working knowledge with database systems in research, preferentially in structural biology
- Project management and multitasking in research
- Hands-on knowledge of electron microscopy and related software and data formats
- Generation and interpretation of models representing macromolecular structure
- Experience with structural biology data deposition in repositories
- Understanding of biological cells & materials
- Experience in developing tools supporting scientists in data analysis or curation tasks
- Understanding of modern software development processes
We are a highly interdisciplinary, international, diverse and supportive team of scientists, committed to work at the frontier of science. The successful applicant will work within a large scientific collaborative network of excellence for cryoEM data management. The Biozentrum offers a cutting-edge research infrastructure and a highly international environment and excellent working conditions. The position is available for one year. Salary and benefits are according to University of Basel standards.
Basel is an international city with people from 150 nations. Located on the border where three countries meet, Switzerland-Germany-France, it is Europe’s most important life sciences hub. Basel provides a high standard of living and a rich and varied cultural atmosphere.
Application / Contact
Please apply online https://biped2.biozentrum.unibas.ch/apply/scientific-data-mgmt-specialist
Please note that only applications through the online form linked above will be accepted.
The application should include a brief personal statement, explaining your motivation for joining this project and your qualifications and experience related to the role, together with a full, up-to-date CV, diplomas and names and addresses of at least two references. Review of applications will start immediately until the position is filled. Please note that only online applications will be considered.
For any informal enquiries, please contact Prof. Timm Maier (timm.maierunibasch) with reference to "Scientific data management specialist (BioEM)".