As a fellow, you have the unique opportunity to experience different research groups before deciding in which group to do your PhD. You are also offered a number of incentives to support your scientific growth.
Unique rotation-based choice of lab
Your fellowship is independent and not tied to a research group or project. You can perform one to two (in rare cases three) two-month rotations in different research groups before you decide on the research group for your PhD thesis (pending approval of the respective group leader). Your PhD thesis underlies the general rules and guidelines of the University of Basel and you will automatically be part of the International PhD Program of the Biozentrum. You will get full financial support for your PhD thesis, typically 3 - 4 years including rotations.
You are also offered a number of incentives to support your scientific and personal growth. Currently, the following benefits are provided (annual changes may apply):
- a personal, annual allowance to attend meetings, acquire books or a computer
- an annual study trip to a city with ties to Siemens
- scientific meetings and networking opportunities with current students and alumni of the “Independent Fellowships” program
- a personal certificate of acceptance into the fellowship program
- support for the preparation of the personal CV and postdoctoral application by Biozentrum faculty members in the Program Committee
- financial support for travel to postdoctoral interviews at the end of the PhD thesis