Software Developer/DevOps Engineer (60-100%)
Starting immediately or as per agreement
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 32 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life, spanning the scale from atom to organism. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birthplace of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates.
The Research IT technology platform is the primary contact point for scientific IT projects at the Biozentrum. We support the Biozentrum’s scientists and staff with expertise, services and custom software development to facilitate research data management, analysis and collaboration.
We are looking for a Software Developer/DevOps Engineer with experience in web technologies who enjoys both sides of the software lifecycle coin: Developing state of the art applications as well as deploying and operating systems and services in production. In this role, you support the specific needs of the research groups and administrative units at the Biozentrum.
- Ensuring reliable operation of our existing services within a heterogeneous service infrastructure (Linux, Windows, Citrix Hypervisor), software (application software, web servers) and databases (MySQL, PostgresSQL, MS-SQL)
- Software development, with an emphasis on web technologies
- Planning, design, transition and operation of new services.
- Active participation in Research IT projects, such as discussing requirements with users, developing scenarios and solutions, as well as occasional training.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person with a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or equivalent relevant experience. You have not only proven programming skills, but also outstanding analytical and collaborative skills that you enjoy bringing to the table in cross-functional projects. You like to work in an agile academic work environment and embrace a service-oriented approach. Part of your duties is to make sure that our production services run smoothly. Furthermore, you are:
- Very familiar with operation of Linux/Apache/* stacks, MySQL, PostgreSQL, familiar with other setups (Windows, MS-SQL). Experience with virtualization, containers, orchestration a definite plus.
- Experienced with web development using at least one of the following: PHP/Zend Framework, Python/Django, other frameworks a plus. Other coding and data management experience highly welcome.
- Comfortable applying software development best practices (source code versioning, unit testing, continuous integration, etc.)
Finally, you are motivated to acquire further skills on the job and believe in continuous improvement. Good communication skills in English are required; knowledge of German is an asset.
The Biozentrum offers a cutting-edge research infrastructure, a highly international environment that provides numerous opportunities to learn more, and excellent working conditions. The position is initially for 2 years, with the possibility of permanent employment. Salary and benefits according to University of Basel standards.
Application / Contact
Please apply online with a CV, letter of motivation, and the name/address of three references: https://biped2.biozentrum.unibas.ch/apply/software-developer_devops-engineer
The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 December 2019. Please note that only online applications will be accepted.