Scientific Officer (80-100%) – NCCR AntiResist
Starting per agreement
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading Life Sciences Institutes in the world. It accommodates 30 research groups and 500 employees investigating how molecules and cells create life, spanning the scale from atom to organism. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birthplace of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates.
National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) “AntiResist: New approaches to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria” (2020-2032) is a Swiss-wide interdisciplinary center for antibiotic research with strong collaborations between biologists, clinicians, engineers, computational scientists and chemists. This network is funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation as part of their major support in strengthening research in areas of strategic importance. Our goals are to develop laboratory models mimicking infection processes in human patients, and to use these models to discover innovative antibiotics and alternative strategies to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria. At the core of this venture are direct links between basic and clinical research, bioengineering, and pharmaceutical industry to help solving the current antibiotic crisis.
NCCR AntiResist is recruiting for the position of Scientific Officer.
The Scientific Officer is a full member of the NCCR management team and is responsible for scientific affairs. The key responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Executive board, contribute to the planning, evaluation and coordination of research projects of the NCCR.
- Monitor the scientific progress of the consortium.
- Coordinate and finalize the annual scientific report and prepare the yearly site visit of the international review board in close collaboration with the board of Directors and the Swiss National Science Foundation.
- Coordinate and finalize the proposals for subsequent funding periods of the NCCR (2024-2032).
- Contribute to the organization of scientific events including a biennial international conference.
- Coordinate the communication of achievements of the consortium to the scientific community and the public and propagates events supported or organized by the NCCR via social media channels.
In execution of these functions, the Scientific Officer is at the center of the scientific communication between the management board, various other internal boards, Work Package and Project leaders and the Swiss National Science Foundation.
For this challenging and exciting position, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- A Doctoral degree in the field of Life Sciences, Medical Sciences or Bioengineering and at least two years of experience as postdoc, as scientific editor, or in industry.
- Thrives on multidisciplinary collaborations within a team.
- Strong editorial skills and experience in formal presentation of scientific data (e.g., publications; congress posters and presentations; grant proposal writing; medical writing).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Full professional proficiency in English is essential. Proficiency in German desired
- Knowledge in social media and website content management would be of advantage.
We offer a highly visible, vibrant, inclusive, and flexible international working environment in a network of world-leading research institutes and pharmaceutical companies in Switzerland. The working place is at University of Basel as home institution of the NCCR. Salary will be commensurate with institutional guidelines of the University of Basel and level of experience. Starting date is negotiable on or after Aug. 1, 2020. The position of Scientific Officer is extendable up to the full 12-year program.
For more information visit https://nccr-antiresist.ch/ and https://www.unibas.ch/en/Research/NCCR/Antiresist.html
Application / Contact
Please apply online.
The application should include a brief personal statement, explaining how your qualifications and experience make you a good candidate for this job, together with a full, up-to-date CV and addresses of 2 references.
We start reviewing applications from 27 July 2020 until the position is filled. Please note that only online applications will be accepted. For further information please contact Dr. Anne-Cécile Hiebel (AntiResist Coordinator, a.hiebel(at)unibas) or Prof. Christoph Dehio (AntiResist Director, .chchristoph.dehio(at)unibas) .ch