Computational Scientist 100%
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 30 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life, spanning the scale from atom to organism. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birth place of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates.
A position is immediately available to work in the scientific development and technical maintenance of the Dynamo package for tomography and subtomogram averaging (www.dynamo-em.org).
Your responsibilities are
- You will work on independent research projects aiming at the development of new segmentation techniques, applying concepts from deep learning and general artificial intelligence to the automated analysis of large sets of cryo electron tomography data.
- You will devise, implement and test new methods for extracting high resolution structures from cryoET data sets, integrating new approaches for classification and numerical compensation of imaging aberrations.
- You will contribute to the maintenance and visibility of the Dynamo package, presenting it in international conferences and user training workshops.
We welcome applications from numerical scientists or structural biologists with solid skills in Matlab, C++, CUDA and/or Python. Experience in Computer Vision and Deep Learning is highly desirable. A background in Image Processing for CryoEM is a plus. The position will involve constant interaction with end-users of our package; a flair for creating well documented tools ready for the use by a large community of users is thus of the essence.
This position is immediately available. We offer an exciting and stimulation work environment with granting access to outstanding resources for data analysis and acquisition. The initial contract is for 1 year, with the expectation to extend. The funding will be available for at least two and a half years.
For further scientific information see
- Dynamo: A flexible, user-friendly development tool for subtomogram averaging of cryo-EM data in high-performance computing environments. Castaño-Díez D, Kudryashev M, Arheit M, Stahlberg H., J Struct Biol. 2012.
- Dynamo Catalogue: Geometrical tools and data management for particle picking in subtomogram averaging of cryo-electron tomograms. Castaño-Díez D, Kudryashev M, Stahlberg H., in J Struct Biol. 2017 Feb; 197(2):135-144
- The Dynamo package for tomography and subtomogram averaging: components for MATLAB, GPU computing and EC2 Amazon Web Services. Castaño-Díez D. in Acta Crystallographica Section D: Structural Biology 73 (6).
Application / Contact
Please send your complete application (including cover letter, CV, reference letters, diplomas to daniel.castano(at)unibas) including [SciCompJob] in the subject. .ch
For informal enquiries, please contact Daniel Castano, e-mail: daniel.castano(at)unibas. .ch