1972 - 1987 | Professor of Biochemistry
Max M. Burger (*1933, † 2019) held the position of Professor of Biochemistry at the Biozentrum from 1972 to 1987. From 1987 to 2000, he directed the Friedrich Miescher Institute in Basel. Burger was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany in 2005. He received this order of merit for his contributions as a member of the Senate of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, Germany’s largest scientific organization. Furthermore, Burger was President of the Division of Biology and Medicine at the Swiss National Science Foundation, a member of the Board of Directors at Ciba-Geigy as well as a member of the Novartis Research Foundation.